Terang Heritage Trail

Local indigenous tribes were the first to discover Terang’s natural wealth. They set up camps beside Lake Terang which was home to an abundance of fish, bird and animal life and provided them with food and water.
The first dwelling was a slab hut, erected in 1840 on the eastern bank of the lake by Donald McNicol, and employee of Niel Black of Glenormiston.
Terang was surveyed in 1858 and land sales followed. The town slowly grew – houses and businesses were built and public facilities were funded through fundraising bazaars and donations.
Horse and coach services operated by Sumpter and Co. and Cobb and Co. provided daily transport to Geelong in the 1870s. The journey took almost 13 hours. The railway line from Melbourne reached Terang in 1887 and construction of the link to Warrnambool was completed 2 years later.
The township of Terang grew with the region. As the district swung from squatters’ sheep to dairy cattle, businesses were established to serve the needs of townsfolk and rural property owners.
Terang was the first town in the Commonwealth to provide its own post office tower and clock through public subscription in 1904.
A man named Paton opened the first store in Terang - a grocery and produce business. After a series of owners and renovations, a two-storey building was constructed on the site.
In 1908, the store was sold to a number of local families who had formed the Terang and District Co-Operative Society. A disastrous fire in 1944 totally destroyed the shop and its stock. The co-operative was forced to trade from its nearby Noorat branch store and from the Terang Band Hall until a new building was completed.
Today, the co-operative is still operating from its prominent site in Terang’s High Street opposite the post office and granite war memorial. Its 3000 shareholders include descendants of the local pioneering families who first established the co-operative over 110 years ago.
Terang is home to many other small businesses and manufacturers which were established on a solid rural base.
Heritage Trees
Terang is a National Trust Town of Historic Trees. The oldest avenue of English Oaks in High Street was planted prior to the 1890s, with a photograph of High Street dated 1888 showing the trees approximately 10 years old. Plane Trees and Cottonwood Poplars in Thomson Street were planted in 1900. A number of other significant tree specimens can be found in the Terang Centenary Park which is located near the Thomson Memorial Church.
Terang Heritage Trail Map
Terang Heritage Trail Locations
1. Post Office and Clock Tower
Post Office and Clock Tower were built in 1903-4 by Mr Harvey of Melbourne. Terang was the first town in the Commonwealth to build a clock tower by public subscription. The first Post Office began in 1859.
2. Terang Police Station and Court House
Court House, Police Station and House were also built in 1903-4 by Mr Harvey of Melbourne. Northcote bricks were used for each of these buildings. The Court House is now privately owned.
3. Commercial Hotel
Commercial Hotel was originally built by Mr Asche about 1866. The building was demolished and replaced but the tower portion was retained.
4. Terang War Memorial
War Memorial is a memorial to all district soldiers and bears their names. It was donated by SG Black, WK MacKinnon and JC MacKinnon. An obelisk of grey granite, 66 feet high. It was unveiled in 1923.
5. Agnes Black Memorial Gates
War Memorial Gates, erected in 1938 by the Black family as a memorial to Agnes Black.
6. Mahogany Computer Services
Mahogany Computers (formerly National Bank) was built in 1929, on the site of the original Colonial Bank which opened in 1886.
7. Former ANZ Bank
Former ANZ Bank (formerly Bank of Australia), began operations in 1897. This building was erected in 1901 replacing the original.
8. Doyle & Kerr Building 1906
Now occupied by Murfett & Whiting and Taits Legal. WP Knights, a well-known district architect designed this and many other Western District buildings.
9. Terang Civic Hall
The building on the corner was the Mechanics Institute and Library and built in 1898. The wooden hall at the rear was one of the first halls built in 1886. The Civic Hall was built in 1910. The foyer was remodelled, and the Rose Room added in 1958, in place of the Temperance Hall (built 1886) which was demolished.
10. Terang Lake
Terang Lake, behind the Civic Hall was the site of the sheep wash used by early settlers. When the lake was full it was a magnificent sheet of water to a depth of 21 feet and birdlife was abundant, pleasure and fishing craft were numerous. At times over the years the lake dried up completely and in 1933 the peat bed caught on fire and burnt for weeks. The lake was eventually drained. Parts and now utilised by the Golf course, Cricket Turf, Pony Club and a newly established wetlands.
11. 2nd Catholic Church
On the far side of the lake can be seen the 2nd Catholic Church, a bluestone building erected 1900, and a Presbytery erected 1910. Both are now privately owned.
12. McNicol Family Cairn
Cairn erected 1988 to commemorate the first settlers, the McNicol family.
13. Presbyterian Sunday School Hall
Presbyterian Sunday School Hall built 1903, by Mr Harvey of Melbourne.
14. Thomson Memorial Church
Thomson Memorial Church, built 1894, a magnificent structure modelled on Scots Church Melbourne, by the widow of John Thomson. Built of Barrabool Hills stone on the site of the original Presbyterian Church.
15. Terang College Primary Campus
Terang College (formerly Terang Primary School) opened 1858. First building 1871. Northern wing added 1890 and southern wing added 1907. The school has since been altered and renovated.
16. Blauvelt Park (former Manse)
Presbyterian Manse was first built in 1879, now privately owned.
17. St Thomas' School and Convent of Mercy
Convent of Mercy built 1910 and St Thomas’ School built 1906.
18. Terang Railway Station
The railway line came to Terang in 1887. The Railway Station was built in 1889.
19. Former Bowman's Hotel
Bowman’s Hotel built in 1903. Now privately owned.
20. Wheatsheaf Hotel
Wheatsheaf Hotel first opened in 1862. The new hotel was built in 1893 but has been substantially renovated. The row of adjoining shops were added in 1900.
21. High Street Buildings
All buildings between the former Commonwealth Bank and the Pharmacy were razed by fire in 1916 and the present buildings erected. WP Knights was the Architect for Virgonas Building and Kelly Buildings.
22. Johnstone Court
Johnstone Court was built in 1925 and is an unusual complex with a glazed barrel-vaulted atrium with ornamental detailing.
23. Terang Hotel
Terang Hotel on the site of the first hostelry opened in Terang in 1859. The present building was erected in 1900.
24. Terang Co-Op
Terang Co-Operative Store is the site of the first slab store built in 1857-8, then operated by John Paton. New buildings were erected but these burnt down in 1944 and the present building was erected 1945.
25. Terang Uniting Church
Uniting Church (McKinnon Street) was formerly the Methodist Church and built in 1868. The parsonage next door in Ewing Street was built in 1902 and is now privately owned.
26. All Saints Church
All Saints Church (Thomson Street) was built in 1889 in Estcourt Street and was moved to the present site in 1905. The Vicarage was then built.
27. Terang Racecourse
The first course was established in the early 1860s. The present site was taken up in 1869.
Location
28 High Street Terang 3264 View Map
Web Links
→ www.terang.org.au/history-of-terang/terang-heritage-trail/




