Lower Yarra Valley Historical and Heritage Tour

The Lower Yarra Valley Heritage Tour covers the towns of Healesville, Yarra Glen, Badger Creek and Coldstream.
Lower Yarra Valley Heritage Tour Map

1. Coombe Yarra Valley
Address: 673-675 Maroondah Hwy, Coldstream

Dame Nellie Melba's Australian home, Coombe Cottage, has been developed to include an historical gallery, house tours in winter, and garden tours. There is also a restaurant, cellar door and shop.
2. Murrup Brarn Yarra Flats Billabongs - Battle of Yering Marker
Address: Melba Hwy between Chateau Yering and Vasey Houghton Bridge, Yarra Glen
Note: We could not find this marker.
The 'Battle of Yering' occurred in 1840 when police, under the direction of Commander H.F. Gisborne, sought to disarm local Wurundjeri who had been conducting an armed resistance in and around the area known today as Yarra Glen. The police focussed on capturing local leader Jaga Jaga (whom they called Jackie Jackie). The police failed in both their objects, to capture Jaga Jaga and disarm the Wurundjeri. The Battle of Yering was one of the first serious engagements of a three-year land war.
3. Yarra Glen Railway Station - (Yarra Valley Railway)
Address: 40 Oliver St, Yarra Glen

4. Gulf Station (National Trust)
Address: 1029 Melba Hwy, Yarra Glen

Established in the 1850s, Gulf Station was farmed from 1854 by the Scottish Bell family for nearly 100 years. The property remained in the family until after WWII, when a soldier settler, J. Smedley, took over. Gulf Station supplied produce to gold miners and bred horses for the Army.
The State Government purchased the remnants of the property (16 ha) in 1976 and appointed the National Trust as the Committee of Management. The Trust has restored the slab buildings and cottage garden.
5. Healesville Railway Station (Yarra Valley Railway)
Address: 20 Healesville-Kinglake Road, Healesville

The Yarra Valley Railway is a volunteer, not-for-profit community organisation based at the heritage listed Healesville Railway Station. It operates passenger train services from Healesville Station to Tarrawarra Winery on the heritage Walker Railmotor RM22.
6. Healesville Courthouse including Cell Blocks
Address: 42 Harker St, Healesville


Healesville's timber Courthouse was opened in 1890 and is one of the few timber buildings in its original state in the township. The Courthouse is of historical importance for its association with Joseph Anderson Panton, Healesville's first magistrate, who later became Chief Magistrate in Melbourne. Panton mapped the Yarra Ranges and named Mount Donna Buang. Pantons Gap is named after him. The court house closed in 1990, as part of a rationalisation of Victoria's Courthouses. The portable Police lockups were built circa 1866, and are now positioned behind the old Courthouse. They are among the last remaining examples of portable lockups in Victoria.
7. Queens Park
Address: 36 Don Rd, Healesville

8. Healesville Sanctuary (Zoos Victoria)
Address: Badger Creek Rd, Healesville
-embed01.jpg)
The Sir Colin MacKenzie Sanctuary for Australian fauna and flora was officially opened on 30 May 1934. The Healesville Sanctuary property was part of the original Coranderrk Aboriginal Station.
9. Maroondah Reservoir Park
Address: Maroondah Hwy, Healesville

The building of Maroondah Reservoir was the largest government undertaking in Healesville. The wall of the reservoir is a gravity arch design and cyclopean rubble concrete construction. The surface area of the reservoir is 197 ha with a total available capacity 22,000 ML. Construction commenced in 1920 and was completed in 1927. During this period an aerial ropeway operated between the Healesville Railway Station and the site, transporting cement and sand used in the construction of the Reservoir.
10. Coranderrk
Note: Coranderrk is not currently open to the public but is a key site in Yarra Ranges' and Australian history. The Coranderrk Cemetery may be accessed with permission from the Wurundjeri Land Council.
Coranderrk Aboriginal Station was established in 1863 and, at its largest, comprised 4,750 acres. Simon Wonga, William Barak and the many others who lived at Coranderrk worked to build a place of self-sufficiency and self-governance. They cleared the land, built homes, a kitchen, a store, a dairy, hop
kilns, a school and a dormitory, which became the hub of the village. They fought legally to retain this home. However in 1924, all but a small group of people were moved to Lake Tyers. In 1998, a 200 acre section of the original station, including the Superintendent's house, was purchased with funding from the Indigenous Land Corporation. Wandoon Estate Aboriginal Corporation was established to manage Coranderrk.
Location
36 Don Road, Healesville 3777 View Map





