Buchan Self-Guided Walking Tours

Four different walks around the township of Buchan.
Walk One - Exploring the Main Street
This tour starts at 56 Main Street, Buchan.
The old Post Office building was specifically designed and built as a Post Office for Alexander Ramsay and his wife, Emily Tuck, and opened for businesses in 1938.
Facing the Old Post Office turn right and head along the Main Street.
The Buchan Valley Roadhouse was built in 1963 by Wilma Ramsay who also ran a mail service and trucking business. Owners Dora and David Wisnewski made some significant changes from 2012 adding the deck and changing the layout of the building. The business is now owned by Jayne and Scott Cummings since 2016
Originally the Willow Café that was built by Harry Dalley to be managed by his four daughters, Myrtle, Eileen, Maude and Hope in 1928. Although a Café for many years including the Caves Main Street Café it was changed to the Willow Collective Boutique in 2014. New owners purchased the building in 2021 and have made significant renovations and plan on opening soon.
The house next door on the right was relocated from Yallourn in the La Trobe Valley.
St Mary’s Church built as a non denominational Church to service all faiths. Officially consecrated by Arch Deacon Langley 26th August 1894 as an Anglican Church. Home Missionaries and Bush Brothers lived in the vestry which is the small section of the building on the right. John Flynn renowned Flying doctor Service preached here in 1905—1906. The windows have been provided by various families dedicated to loved ones. The main one above the alter was put in to celebrate 100 years of the church and placed in the back of the building.
The privately owned Cottage was originally Buchan’s first Bush Nursing Centre officially opened in 1954 and built on land donated by Alex and Vera Rogers.
Next to the Cottage is the brand new CFA and SES complex.
The Small Park on the right houses old time machinery with informational signage; a project of the Buchan Business and Tourist Association. There is a notice board near the toilet block with community information. There are two gas BBQs for public use and a children’s playground.
Cross the Main Road to the Police Station residence (left of the police Station) built in 1936. Note the tapered rubble stone pillars and the chimney.
The New Police Station which was built to replace the portable office that had served the town for many years. It was officially opened in 27th November 2007.
The Buchan Hall front extension obscures the old hall (opened in 1903) but the gable roof can be seen at the back. On the Melbourne Cup Weekend in November the community holds the Buchan Flower Art n Craft Show Photography Competition and Display, an exhibition of locally made produce, craft and photography.
Caves Hotel first called the Buchan Inn opened in 1884, later became Riverview House. It was built by William Kellie and extended and changed over the years. In the early 1900’s it was also the site of the General Store and Post and Telegraph office. The old North veranda was used in the early times as a Bush Nursing Centre. The building was destroyed by fire on Wednesday 9th April 2014. Through a crowd funding campaign $600,000 was raised to rebuild the pub which was opened on 8th December 2016.
Callemondah Café has seen service as a Butchers Shop, Rio Tinto Mining Office, Cave Craft Shop and the Black Marble Hut which offered paintings, wooden and black marble items that were painted and hand crafted by then owner Ted Cammans.
Callemondah Guest House was built in 1917 by Mrs. Mary Neve and opened in 1922 to cater for the tourists visiting the Buchan Caves. It was a flourishing guest house well known in the area. In 1925 the then Acting Premier of Victorian Mr. McPherson, stayed there whilst on a visit to the caves. In 2013 the café and guest house were bought by Jo and Steve Jeffrey and extensive renovations brought this beautiful building back to being used as a bed and breakfast which opened in 2016. Sold in 2019 and has been closed since.
The Buchan General Store also established by Mary and Dan Neve around 1919 when they moved it from Riverview House. This part survives today as the storeroom and private mail box area. The main building which features a lining of pressed tin and wooden shelving with turned wooden supports was built in 1928. The floor is original pine and the façade is original tiles with brass trimming. At one time there were petrol bowsers at the front.
Built on the site of the Tuch and Ramsays Garage is the present Bush Nursing Centre. (See plaque for further information)
The last building on the street is Connorville Which is the original spelling and was later changed to Conorville after the current owners’ son. One of Buchan's oldest homes and served as a Police Station in the early 1900’s.
Retrace your steps to the central median strip between the western buildings and the Main Street. The park features a replica of the old Hitching Rail, built by Graham Fall, Heritage Axe Man and Peter Sandy, blacksmith from Ensay who hand forged the nuts and bolts. It is branded with the brands of the travelling stock from Queensland and NSW who travelled through Buchan during World war II to Bairnsdale sale yards.
In Front of the Hotel is a Cairn commemorating the first visit of a European to Buchan by Edward Bayliss in 1838 and John Rhodes Wilkinson who arrived one day ahead of Bayliss who was returning from the Monaro with cattle and men in 1839. they were the first to take up runs in the area; Gelantipy Station and Buchan Station.
An interpretive sign with a short history of Buchan is also situated on the median strip.
Return to the Old Post Office Building
Walk Two - The John Flynn Ramble
Facing the Old Post Office turn left and head towards the park
The heritage house “Home” on your right is one of Buchan’s earliest buildings servicing at present as a private residence. It has also been an accommodation house and police station over the years. It was built by John Gilmore one of Buchan’s earliest selectors.
An interpretive sign is situated at the start of the John Flynn Memorial Reserve.
Wander down into the Park through the John Flynn Memorial Reserve to the river and the stock crossing left of the swing bridge. On the left bank of the ford is the site of Buchan’s earlier bridges. As you walk towards the swing bridge and on the left is the memorial plaque honouring John Flynn. He was posted to Buchan as a Presbyterian Home Missionary (1905-1907). He is regarded as a very important Australian.
Walk over the swing bridge and to the right is the community’s sporting complex for the Buchan Pony Club, Football, Netball, Cricket and Tennis clubs. It is all situated on the original Buchan River bed.
The building directly in front is the Buchan Neighbourhood House. The foyer is Jim Mildenhall’s World War ll settlers hut. The extensions are modern, the Buchan Neighbourhood House started prior to 1985 and employed a youth worker/TAFE outreach worker. The building was originally owned by the Lands Department. The two roomed weather board cottage 30’ x 15’ was transferred from the Lands Department to TAFE Outreach for the cost of $2.00 and was home to the Youth Group later established as a Neighbourhood House. The centre also provides a Shire outreach service and library. The building has had two extensions, the last being completed in 2002. The centre is managed by a volunteer Committee of Management.
To the rear of the Neighbourhood house is the Nissen Hut which was relocated to Buchan after World War ll as a Lands Department work shop and is owned by the Neighbourhood House and used for storage and community workshops and projects. In 2009 the women on the Nissen Hut were completed as part of a community arts project called “Seldom Seen”. Information about the women are on the interpretive sign next to the building.
To the left is a concrete building which was the Buchan Butter Factory. It was registered in 1900 servicing the district for many years. It ceased to function as a butter factory in 1948. The building is now managed by the Buchan Heritage Group and is undergoing restoration work. It will be used to house Heritage information, community events and exhibitions.
The large Yellow Box Log, Buchan’s Sesquicentenary “Logo Tree” has stood since before white settlement in front of “Home’, the old post office residence. Over the years it gradually developed more and more of a lean until it finally toppled over in 1999, and was moved t the Butter Factory grounds.
At the back of the Uniting Church building is also the Buchan Community Gardens established in 2013.
Walk Three - The Buchan River
At this point you can return to the Main Street going back over the swing bridge. Approximate time for this walk is 20 min or continue along the Buchan River to the Bluff Reserve.
Head under the Buchan Bridge and follow the track beside the river. This is known as Cocky John corridor. As you come to the wider flat area you will notice horse jumps along the way which are used for the Buchan Pony club annual cross country event held at Easter. Along this area the tress are predominately Black Woods which can be used as furniture timber.
As you wanter along the river to where there are three horse jumps grouped together is where Spring Creek runs into the Buchan River. Across the river is the Buchan Caves Reserve. This area was also planted with trees by the local children from the Buchan Primary School.
Continue to head along the river entering the area called the Bluff Reserve. Note the Strata up-thrust of the cliff face. In this area there are picnic facilities including BBQs and tables. At the bend of the river is a local swimming area.
Follow the ring road around to the small bridge where Cocky Johns or Eastern Water Dragons bask on the rocks on warm days.
Up river from the bridge is the large log blocking the water flow and is the pondage where the town water supply is collected. In the green buildings are the pumps. These new sheds were completed in 2007. Efficient filtration of the water was needed for the town as the head waters at Native Dog flats were burnt in the 2003 bushfires causing damage to the towns water flow.
Head back along the dirt road towards town. The first house on the right is Bluff House and is privately owned.
The Buchan Lodge is built on the site of the MacArthur’s Sale Yards. Note the original post and rail fence.
The building on the hill on your left is Homeleigh, once the historic Cricket Club Hotel which opened in 1882 by David Williams. It procured its licence the same day as the Buchan Inn on the other side of the river. Now owned by a caving group called Rim Stone Cooperative.
Cross the road onto the Orbost Buchan Road. To the right is the Bakery built by Jane Davidson. This is now a private residence and no longer functions as a bakery.
On the left is another collection of historic machinery.
The Kindergarten is site of “The Flats” and “The Nutshell” often referred to as “The Lolly Shop” built by John Armstrong. Jane Davidson leased them from him for may years. The pictured buildings have been moved to Buchan East.
Head back over the swing bridge to return to the Main Street. Or you can continue on to the next walk from here.
Walk Four - Buchan’s Other Main Street
From the old Post Office Building, head down the main street and across the Buchan Bridge and turn right into the Orbost Buchan Road at the T-Intersection. If you are continuing from Walk Three from the historic machinery continue along the Buchan Orbost Road.
Directly opposite the Bakehouse is ‘Dee’ originally known as ‘The Cottage’. One occupant was Granny Whelan, a midwife famous in this area in the early 1900s.
Next on the left is the Sherrington Motel Apartments. Site of the old Sherrington Store.
The road on the left which climbs the hill is the old Insolvent Track now called Woodgate’s Road and on the right at the corner the older home is Heritage Vintage and was built by Hentry Schacht and next to it he had one of Buchan’s earliest shops.
Further up the road is St. Dymphna’s Catholic Church. This was blessed and opened by Bishop Corbell on the 10th May,1896.
Up on the hill on the left is the step roofed house with the peppercorns in the front called ‘Hillview’ and was the home of the Frank Moon Family of the Buchan Caves fame. Frank Moon discovered the Fairy Cave in 1907 and was instrumental in exploring many other caves in the area.
The main Road leads on to the Buchan Primary School. The house on the right overlooking the recreation ground is called ‘The Haven’ and is another very early home. It was a Cobb and Co. stopping station at one time. A little further on, past the school is the site of the Buchan Timber Mill and its houses now all privately owned. The closure of the mill terminated work for many families who because of lack of work moved away.
Walk back to the recreation ground and across the swing bridge returning to the Main Street.
We hope you enjoyed your stroll. You have walked across a portion of the limestone bed of the ancient sea studded with fossils which stretches for miles in all directions while down below there are labyrinths of cave systems which make up the Buchan Volcanics. We invite you to continue to explore our unique area.
Location
56 Main Street, Buchan 3885 View Map
Web Links
→ Buchan Self-Guided Walking Tours Brochure (PDF)




