Melbourne Playgrounds  Directory Melbourne Playgrounds Mind 


Whitehorse Street and Public Art



Whitehorse council has enhanced some of their playgrounds, nature areas and council facilities with a range of public artwork. This includes:

Three Thirds (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Three stainless steel, concrete, glass and fibre optic puzzle pieces by Matthew DeMoiser and Blair Lang (2003)

Can you do the puzzle? It feels like a piece is missing (just like every puzzle I own).

Location: Lawn area of Box Hill Library, 1040 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill.

White Horse Monument (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Unknown (1888)

In August 1857 the Nunawading District Road Board was declared. The Board was responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads in the region. The very first public meeting of the Board, precursor of today's Whitehorse City Council, was held in September 1857 at the White Horse Hotel ó the first brick building in Box Hill and only two-story building in the area until the 1880s. Amalgamation of the former cities of Box Hill and Nunawading in December 1994 resulted in the birth of the City of Whitehorse. The name was derived from the White Horse Hotel, first built by Patrick Trainor in 1853. A labelled tin sign that hung outside the hotel was illustrated with a painting of a white horse. The hotel was to pass through many hands, with owner William Graham undertaking major renovations to the building in 1888.

A white horse statue was fashioned and erected at the front entrance of the White Horse Hotel in 1888. It remained there, sitting firmly on a porchway through fire and inclement weather, until 1933. The hotel was closed in 1921, after Box Hill became a 'Dry Suburb' in 1920, and the building then served as a boarding house until it was demolished in 1933.

Who created the White Horse? It is documented that no less than three different sculptors created the White Horse. One account reasons that David Clarke, a cabinet-maker, carved the horse. An alternative story has William Graham's wife commissioning a visiting French artist and yet another tale has local Thomas Linsley carving the horse on his dining room table!

The White Horse was donated to Council in 1933. Architect and Councillor JS Gawler designed a suitable structure to house the White Horse and it was fixed atop a new porchway on Whitehorse Road in 1934. Since restoration in the mid 1980s the horse has resided within the Town Hall. A fibreglass replica was erected at the Whitehorse Road site in 1986. The White Horse underwent restoration again in 2007 and now stands proud on his own pedestal within the Whitehorse Art Space.

Location: Artspace, Box Hill Town Hall, 1022 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill.

Spirit of Whitehorse (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

White marble sculpture of a horse by Graham Radcliffe.

Location: Front of Whitehorse Civic Offices, 379/397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

White Horse Replica (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

There is another White Horse statue on the median strip along Whitehorse Road in Box Hill. The statue of the white horse which stood from 1895 - 1933 on this porchway in front of the famous Coaching Hostelry of that name built near the Elgar Road toll gate in 1853 and one of the council's first meeting places. This replica of the statue was erected on the median strip in Whitehorse Road in 1986. The original horse is kept in the Box Hill Town Hall.

Location: 901 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill

Unity (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Painted, patinated cast bronze by Stephen Glassborow (1998-99)

Location: Whitehorse Road median strip (opposite Box Hill Town Hall), 1022 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill.

Dervish (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

A cast bronze sculpture by Inge King (1991)

Location: Front of Whitehorse Civic Offices, 379/397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

Etched Leaf Window (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Pattern of leaves etched on glass windows.

Location: Whitehorse Civic Offices, 379/397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

Whitehorse Centre Arts Mural (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Siv Grava, Patrick Loverso & Rosemary Price plus Nunawading Youth Employment & Support (Y.E.S.) (c. 1980s)

The mural portrays the rich history of the arts in Nunawading, giving pictorial recognition to the diversity of cultural activities. Acrylic on ply wood panel board.

Location: Mounted on Soundshell at Whitehorse Centre, rear of 379-397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

Nunawading Library Panel Sculpture (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Metal panel sculpture.

Location: Behind the Nunawading Library, rear of 379 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

Nunawading the Meeting Place (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By David Wright & Graham Stone (Designers), together with others.
Stained and slumped glass window.

Location: Whitehorse Centre internal entry to foyer, rear of 379-397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

Nangnak Reconciliation Garden Path (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

A paved path running along the Nangnak Reconciliation Garden.

Location: Between the Whitehorse Centre and rear of Whitehorse Civic Offices, 379/397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading.

Matsudo Friendship Mural (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Mural by Lucy Lucy (2015)

Location: South East corner (near the Eastern Community Legal Centre), Box Hill Town Hall, 1022 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill.

Matsudo Mural (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Mural by Lucy Lucy (2016)

Location: Birds Lane (near corner of Market Street), Box Hill.

The Performers (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Powder coated fabricated steel sculpture by Anthony Pryor (1985)

Location: Corner of Market Street and Main Street, Box Hill.

Journey's Seed (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Metal sculpture by Anthony McInneny (2005)

Location: Median strip near 921 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill.

Longevity I (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

A tiled mosaic mounted onto a wall by Helen Bodycomb & Enver Camdal (1998)

Location: Mounted on the side of Box Hill Central, opposite #19 Carrington Road, Box Hill.

Longevity II (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

A tiled mosaic mounted onto a wall by Helen Bodycomb & Enver Camdal (1998)

Location: Mounted on the side of Box Hill Central, opposite #29 Carrington Road, Box Hill.

Mitcham Community House Internal Leadlight Window
Glass and lead framed panels by Sean Curlis

Location: Mitcham Community House, 19 Brunswick Road, Mitcham.

Mitcham Community House Entrance Sculpture
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Carved wood sculpture of Australian animals by Damian Curtain

Location: Mitcham Community House, 19 Brunswick Road, Mitcham.

Sentinel at Bushy Creek (Box Hill North)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Carved wooden eagle sculpture by Harry Armytage

Location: Bushy Creek Reserve, Cnr Dorking Road and Wimmera Street, Box Hill North.

Pagoda at Bushy Creek (Box Hill North)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Carved wooded pagoda sculpture by Harry Armytage

Location: Bushy Creek Reserve, Cnr Dorking Road and Wimmera Street, Box Hill North.

Metal Animal Sculptures at Bushy Creek (Box Hill North)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Animal sculptures constructed from metal objects including horse shoes.

Location: Bushy Creek Reserve Playground, 30 Wimmera Street, Box Hill North.

Tram shelter (Box Hill North)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Kirsten & Eric Hoak (Building Artists) (1994)

Tram shelter made from a metal frame. The first electric tramway depot (1889 - 1896) is signified by a shelter located on Station Street.

The Box Hill-Doncaster Electric Tramway ran along Station Street and Tram Road between the Box Hill Post Office and a terminus near the intersection of Elgar and Doncaster Roads, Doncaster.

The tram operated a regular service from October 1889 until January 1896 initially making ten return trips on weekdays averaging about 14 kilometres per hour along the 3.6 kilometre route.

The tramway was established by a syndicate of landowners and investors wanting to link the Doncaster district with the Box Hill railway; promote land sales and attract tourists to Doncaster and its eighty-seven metre high wooden observation tower.

The engine house and tram shed were erected in Station Street on the south bank of Bushy Creek, just north of Wimmera Street. A steam-driven power plant supplied electricity for the overhead wire. Water for the boiler was taken from a dam beside the creek.

The line, officially opened on 14 October 1889, was the first electric tramway in Australia and the southern hemisphere. Disputes with landowners plagued the early operation of the line and the 1890s depression led to the closure of the tramway on 6 January 1896.

Tram Road and Hilton's Lane (behind the Box Hill Post Office and named after the tramway engineer Henry Hilton) are memorials to the aspirations and technical innovations of the district pioneers.

Location: Bushy Creek Reserve, 888 Station Street, Box Hill North.

Blackburn Library Mural (Blackburn)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Painted mural on brick wall by Gwenda Wiseman et.al. (local youth groups) (c. early 1990s)

Location: Corner Blackburn Road and Central Road, Blackburn.

Totem and Mushroom Seating (Nunawading)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Ceramic tiled totem and mushroom seating created by the people of Silver Grove to symbolise "Our Whitehorse Community" by Deborah Amon-Cotter & Patrick Loverso with young people of Reach Out for Kids & Louise Multicultural Centre (2000 & 2002)

Location: 12 Silver Grove, Nunawading.

Artistsí Park Palette Pathway (Box Hill South)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Decorated ceramic pavers in the form of artists' palettes by Kay McGaw (1993).

On the banks of Gardiner's Creek near this site, artists Tom Roberts and Fredrick McCubbin, established their camp in 1885. They were later joined by Arthur Streeton, Louis Abrahams and Charles Condor.

Location: Artists Park, 8 Prince Street, Box Hill South.

Artists Park Senior Playground Roof Panels (Box Hill South)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Painted wood panels which provide some shade for part of the playground by Jeanette Jennings and Box Hill South Primary School students.

Location: Artists Park Senior Playground, 8 Prince Street, Box Hill South.

Artists Park Junior Playground (Box Hill South)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Miriam Porter (1993)

The playground has a beautiful wooden picket decorated with colourfully painted characters including a dog with a drooling tongue, doll, fruit, vegetables and other faces, In front of the fence are carvings of five Australian parrots. Within the fenced area is a wooden wombat sculpture and a maze with some colourful wooden panels.

Location: Rear of Box Hill South Neighbourhood House, 47 Kitchener Street, Box Hill South.

Box Hill Community Arts Centre Car Park Mural (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Painted mural by Blender Creatives.

Location: Box Hill Community Arts Centre Car Park, 448 Station Street, Box Hill.

Leaf and Foot Print Path (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Decorated ceramic pavers by Kay McGaw & children from after school pottery classes (1993)

Location: Box Hill Community Arts Centre Car Park, 448 Station Street, Box Hill.

Box Hill Community Arts Centre Ceramic Seats (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Two tubular steel framed seats embellished with glazed tiles on concrete base by Maggie Fooke & Karl Millard as part of Box Hill Community Arts Centreís construction (1989/90).

Location: Box Hill Community Arts Centre Rear Garden, 470 Station Street, Box Hill.

The Enchanted Garden: Mosaic Garden Works (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Constructed from tiles, ceramic pieces, mirror and grout by Maggie Fooke & Karl Millard as part of Box Hill Community Arts Centreís construction (1989/90).

Location: Box Hill Community Arts Centre Wet Room Courtyard, 470 Station Street, Box Hill.

Box Hill Community Arts Centre Picket Fence (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Timber posts with jigsaw-cut decorations by Kate Cullity and Kevin Taylor Community Art project led by Landscape Designers / Artists(1991).

Location: Rear Box Hill Community Arts Centre, 470 Station Street, Box Hill.

Wolseley Street Glass and Concrete Flower Path (Mont Albert)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Coloured glass and patterning in the path by Tanya Court and residents of Wolseley Court.

Location: 2 Wolseley Close (southern end), Mont Albert.

Aquatic Life Forms (Forest Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Murals on the main and return walls of Aqualink Nunawading by Christopher John (2001)

Location: Aqualink Nunawading, Fraser Place, Forest Hill.

Aqualink Box Hill Mural (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Mural on exterior wall.

Location: Aqualink Box Hill, Surrey Drive, Box Hill.

Box Hill Gardens War Memorial Sculpture (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Sculpture of a soldier carrying his injured mate across his shoulder.

Location: Box Hill Gardens (western side), 35 Nelson Road, Box Hill.

Box Hill Gardens Tennis artwork (Box Hill)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Tennis themed sculpture.

Location: Box Hill Gardens, 16 Irving Avenue, Box Hill.

Tassells Park Paving Panel (Box Hill North)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Paving panels at Tassells Park playground.

Location: 123 Woodhouse Grove, Box Hill North.

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (Fossil Footpath) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Fossils in the footpath

Location: Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (Geo Sculpture) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Sculpture which represents layers of the earth using stone, cement, galvanised and stainless steel by: Building Artists (Kirsten Eric Hoak), Stone Mason: Jim Charlwood, Fabrication: Pizzey Engineering (1993)

Location: Site #3, Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (Pleistocene Mural) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Pleistocene Mural

Location: Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (Koori Carvings Footpath) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Maree Clarke and Lenny Tregonning (1992)

Burnt stained Ironbark and Gimpy Messmate serpent shapes embedded in the concrete path. These serpents refer to symbols used by the Wurrundjeri people. Although this section of the park celebrates Koorie habitation of the area prior to European settlement, the serpents are modern artworks and relevant to Koorie culture today.

Location: Site #5, Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (Drive-In Theatre Sign) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Salvatore (Sam) Amato (1993)

A powder coated galvanised tubular steel sign displaying "Drive In". This is the site of the screen of Australia's first drive-in picture theatre. Opened in 1954, the Burwood Drive-in Theatre offered unique features and services to its patrons. It was capable of holding 650 cars, in its "natural 10-acre bowl". A buffet sold snacks, white attendants served customers in their cars. A large row of Cypress pines and Poplar trees were planted to screen out light from the film projector. Two of the last Cypress have been made into sculptures. The Burwood Drive-in closed in 1983 and made way for a new electricity supply depot.

Location: Site #8, Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (FJ Play Sculpture) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

By Salvatore (Sam) Amato (1993)

This sculpture of a 1950's car, commemorates one of Australia's icons, the Holden. By 1959 the Holden accounted for 46% of all Australian car sales. it was just one of the many makes of cars driven to the Burwood Drive-in during its period of operation.

Location: Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Gardinerís Creek History Trail (Tree Carvings) (Burwood)
Whitehorse Council Public and Street Art

Tree carvings of cypress trees.

Location: Gardinerís Creek History Trail which follows the creek between 123 Highbury Road, Burwood (south end) and 198 Burwood Highway, Burwood (north end).

Map of Street Art Locations:




Web Links


Link City of Whitehorse Artists Trail



  Reader Feedback  

No feedback yet (be the first..)

  Add Your Comments  


 1,200
characters left

BACK TO PREVIOUS PAGEView More in this Topic | View More in Nunawading   TOP OF THIS PAGE



Melbourne Playgrounds  Directory Melbourne Playgrounds Mind 



Facebook Twitter Google+ YouTube Instagram


Featured..
Little Party Play
View  Little Party Play
Love a stylish party? Create your own modern play area with Little Party Play! .. | View


Viri Virtual Reality Experience (Central Melbourne)
View   Viri Virtual Reality Experience (Central Melbourne)
Virtual Reality Immersion - we provide an avenue for you to live out your imagination in .. | View


Amazing Race for Kids Birthday Parties
View  Amazing Race for Kids Birthday Parties
Amazing races aren't just for big kids. Urban Quest's birthday parties for kids are .. | View


Mini Maestros
View  Mini Maestros
Making music is Ďsuper foodí for a childís developing brain. Mini Maestros music classes .. | View


The Ultimate Guide for Kids Parties in Melbourne
View The Ultimate Guide for Kids Parties in Melbourne
Your son or daughter's birthday is fast approaching and the anxiety level is increasing .. | View


Featured..
VR Plus (Carlton)
View  VR Plus (Carlton)
VR Plus is Melbourneís ultimate Virtual Reality gaming experience. We deliver an .. | View


Party Higher
View  Party Higher
Silent disco party/event Ė the best fun ever - guaranteed. Experience silent .. | View


Top 50 Playgrounds in Melbourne and Geelong
View Top 50 Playgrounds in Melbourne and Geelong
We have reviewed every playground in Melbourne and Geelong and these are the pick of the .. | View


200 Things for Families and Kids to do in Melbourne
View 200 Things for Families and Kids to do in Melbourne
Melbourne is a wonderful city for kids and families because there are so many activities, .. | View



Featured..
Small Ideas Melbourne Big Family Discounts
View Small Ideas Melbourne Big Family Discounts
As seen on A Current Affair, Channel 7 News and The Herald Sun, Small Ideas is the best .. | View


Latitude Melbourne (Heidelberg West)
View Latitude Melbourne (Heidelberg West)
Experience the feeling of reaching new heights as you Bounce, Climb AND Fly at Latitude .. | View


Restaurants/Cafes/Hotels with Playgrounds
View Restaurants/Cafes/Hotels with Playgrounds
Sometimes it is nice to let the kids run riot in a playground area while you relax at a .. | View


SUMMARY of Play Centres in Melbourne and Geelong
View   SUMMARY of Play Centres in Melbourne and Geelong
Looking for an Indoor Play Centre in Melbourne? The following list contains every Play .. | View


Fast Find

Enter post code or suburb
Select a search radius


Facebook Twitter Google+ YouTube Instagram