|Melbourne and Geelong have a number of Theme Parks which offer a range of rides and activities. We have reviewed and compared each one to determine the overall winner and also which one is most suitable for a range of situations.
The parks we reviewed were:
Funfields - The entrance price is based on height.
Adventure Park - The entrance price is based on height.
- Anyone 142cm or taller: $40.00
- Children between 100 and 141 cm: $33.00
- Children under 100 cm: Free
- Seniors: $25.00
Luna Park - The ride price is based on age.
- General Admission (1.2m and Over): $39.50
- Junior Admission (Under 1.2m): $29.50
- Child Admission (Under 90cm): Free
- Senior Admission (Guests 60 Years & Over): $25.00
- Disabled/Carer Admission (ID Required): $25.00
Wonderland Fun Park - All day ride price based on age (under 3 or above 3 y.o) or coupons for individual rides.
- Teen & Adult Unlimited Ride Ticket (13+ yrs): $46.95
- Child Unlimited Ride Ticket (4-12 yrs): $36.95
- Toddler Unlimited Ride Ticket (0-3 yrs): $15.95
- Teen & Adult Single Ride Ticket (13+ yrs): $10.95
- Child Single Ride Ticket (4-12 yrs): $8.95
- Toddler Single Ride Ticket (0-3 yrs): $4.95
Gumbuya Park - The entrance price is based on age
- All Day Pass: $34.00 (Does not include the Bungee Trampolines – Upgrade for $8.00 per turn)
- All Day Toddler Pass (under 3 y.o only): $18.00 (unlimited rides on The Carousel, Tea Cups and Pirate Ship)
- 1 Coupon: $2.50 (Coupon packs can be shared between multiple people)
- 10 Coupons: $23.00 – This will give a total of 3 to 5 rides
- 20 Coupons: $45.00 – 5 to 10 rides
- 60 Coupons: $125.00 - 15 to 30 rides
Credit card Surcharge
- Child (4-15) entry excluding rides: $9.00
- Student/Concession entry excluding rides: $14.50
- Adult entry excluding rides: $18.00
- Senior / Disability pension entry excluding rides: $12.00
- Family (2 adults, 3 kids aged 4-15) entry excluding rides: $55.00
- Child (4-15) entry including rides: $38.00
- Student/Concession entry including rides: $42.00
- Adult entry including rides: $50.00
- Senior / Disability pension entry including rides: $38.00
- Family (2 adults, 3 kids aged 4-15) entry including rides: $164.00
- Single Ride ticket: $6.00
- Unlimited Ride Passes (per person): $38.00
- Wildlife encounter including entry to enclosure, keeper talk and petting: $10.00
Funfields - There is a 2% surcharge on all credit card purchases.
Other parks do not have a surcharge.
Funfields - You have to pay full price for all people irrespective of whether they go on any rides. There are no Spectator passes available.
Adventure Park - You have to pay full price for all people irrespective of whether they go on any rides. There are no Spectator passes available.
Luna Park - Admission into the park is free. Pay for rides.
Wonderland Fun Park - Admission into the park is free. Pay for rides.
Gumbuya Park - All visitors have to pay the basic entry fee.
Funfields - A Funfields Super Season Pass is available for $99 and a Family Season Pass starts at $269.00. A Super Seasons Pass provides unlimited entry, express entry, food discounts, Merchandise Shop discounts and to bring a friend for free (some conditions).
Adventure Park - Individual Season Pass (per person): $79.95 and Family Season Pass (per person): $74.95. A Season Pass provides unlimited entry, express entry, Merchandise Shop discounts and to bring a friend for free (some conditions).
Luna Park - Luna Park Annual Pass is $110 per person.
Wonderland Fun Park - Not available
Gumbuya Park - An annual pass is the price of three visits.
Funfields - 40 km north of the Melbourne CBD in Whittlesea
Adventure Park - 90 km south west of the Melbourne CBD in Wallington (past Geelong)
Luna Park - 7 km south of the Melbourne CBD in St Kilda
Wonderland Fun Park - On the edge of the CBD in the Docklands
Gumbuya Park - 75 km east of the Melbourne CBD in Tynong
Access by Public Transport
Funfields - Catch a train from Flinders Street to South Morang (South Morang Line) and then catch the bus to Funfields on route 562.
Adventure Park - McHarry's bus route 56 between Geelong and Queenscliff stops at the park.
Luna Park - Luna Park is very easily accessible by train and tram. The closest train station is Balaclava station which is a short walk away. Two main trams travel to Luna Park, the number 16 and 96. These can be boarded from major city train stations Flinders Street and Southern Cross.
Wonderland Fun Park - Take the train to Southern Cross Station or Flinders Street Station. From there you can catch the tram to Wonderland Fun Park. From Flinders Street Station you can catch the #70 Tram or the free City Circle from the corner of Flinders Street and Swanston Street. From Southern Cross Station you can catch the #86 tram from the corner of Spencer Street and Bourke Street. Take the tram in the direction of Waterfront City/ Harbour Town and get off the tram at Harbour Town Shopping Centre in Docklands. Head through the Harbour Town Shopping Centre towards the Giant Observation Wheel. The park is located below the wheel next to Costco.
Gumbuya Park - No public transport unless you use some ingenuity and combine a train and taxi.
Funfields - Open during peak periods between the start of the September school holidays and the end of Easter. During the Summer holidays it is open from 10am to 6pm. During the shoulder period it closes an hour earlier. Calendar of Opening Days
Adventure Park - Open during peak periods between the start of the November and the end of Easter. During the Summer holidays it is open from 10am to 6pm. During the shoulder period it closes an hour earlier. Calendar of Opening Days
Luna Park - Open weekends, Victorian school holidays and every public holiday except Christmas Day. Not open week days during the school term. Opening hours are from 11am to times ranging from 5pm to 11pm depending on the time of the year. For some days of the year it is open 7pm – 11pm. Calendar of Opening Days and Times
Wonderland Fun Park - Open weekends, school holidays and public holidays from 10am – 5pm. Rides operate from 11am until 4pm. Closed Good Friday and Christmas Day.
Gumbuya Park - Open Thursdays to Mondays. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday except for public and school holidays. Opening hours are 10am - 5 pm (to 6pm during daylight savings)
Summary of non Water-based Rides
- Formula Fun Mini Go Karts (Children must be between 100 and 141 cm to ride)
- Burnout moving car ride (You must be 130 cm or taller to ride the Burnout alone. Children between 110 and 129 cm must ride accompanied by an adult)
- Pony Xpress Carousel - A Pony Express Carousel (Maximum height 141 cm)
- Snakes Alive - is a cup and saucer ride with a slithering snakes theme (Unaccompanied children must be at least 95 cm tall. All children under this height must be accompanied by an adult)
- Alpine Toboggan Ride - Get towed 400 metres to the top of our mountain and ride the toboggan down to the bottom (You need to be 127 cm or taller to ride the toboggans alone. Children under 127 cm must be accompanied by an adult)
- Blackbeard's Fury - A thrilling ride on a swinging pirate ship (You need to be 137 cm or taller to ride the Pirate Ship alone. Children between 107 cm and 136 cm must be accompanied by an adult)
- Thunderdome Go Kart Track - 9 Hp Viper and the Sidewinder Go karts on a 400m concrete track (You need to be 142 cm or taller to drive a Go Kart. Children between 100 and 141 cm must ride as a passenger and be accompanied by someone 142 cm or taller)
- Mini golf - The landscaped 18-hole course Crocodile Creek Mini Golf Course meanders around a series of streams and ponds and there is even the odd waterfall and cave to negotiate
- Grand Carousel - Make friends with your own horse and ride away on the antique and fully restored carousel (90 cm and under to ride).
- Electric Buggies (140 cm and under to ride).
- Kids Train - Tour around on our 2.5 km track within 21 Hectares of parkland.
- Wave Swinger is a family thrill ride which swings around while reaching speeds of up to 30km per hour (120 cm and over to ride).
- Shipwreck Harbour - Race your friends or relax and cruise the lake on a Pedal Boat (120 cm and over to ride).
- Go Karts - Race a friend or go for a cruise and show your skills behind the wheel. (140 cm and over to ride).
- Archery - Be Robin Hood for a day and test your skills, challenge your friends and see if you're skilled enough to hit the bullseye (90 cm and over to play).
- Mini Golf - Challenge your family and friends to a fun game of Mini Golf with it's waterfalls, bunkers, obstacles and ramps. Tee off from one of the two 18 hole courses
- Giant Jumping Pillow - Bounce about on the phenomenal 15 metre Giant Jumping Pillow which is the only one of it's kind in Australia. See how fun and challenging gravity can be.
Wonderland Fun Park
- Enterprise - Hurtle and spin into orbit (120 cm and over to ride).
- Pharaoh's Curse - a thrilling ride for serious riders which is the only place in Melbourne where you can see Port Phillip Bay upside down! (120 cm and over to ride).
- Scenic Railway - The whole family can experience the thrill of the oldest continually operating wooden roller coaster in the world (100 cm tall to ride alone, under 100 cm must ride with an adult)
- The Coney Island Top Drop - Bounce four stories in the air while getting an amazing view of St Kilda. It operates in a vertical position where the guests are shot upwards to a height of 13 meters before being dropped back down to earth after experiencing a series of bounce and drop sequences.
- Spider - Hop on and be spun about (110 cm and over to ride)
- Twin Dragon - A pirate ship which takes huge swings. Not for those who get seasick! (110 cm and over to ride)
- The Power Surge - Fly high in the newest ride on the spinning, twisting, stomach-churning thrill ride! (over 140 cm and under 130 cm to ride)
- Carousel - The visually stunning carousel with its 70 horses and chariots are individually hand painted and intricately decorated in brilliant colours (110 cm and over to ride alone)
- Sky Rider - A Ferris Wheel where you can see bay and city views from the top (120 cm and over to ride)
- Ghost Train - The Luna Park ghouls get to work with their special brand of creepiness (100 cm and over to ride alone)
- Silly Serpent - Hop on and ride the crazy path of the super-friendly Silly Serpent family roller coaster (100 cm tall and over to ride)
- Red Baron - Cartoon style airplanes that soar through the air (120 cm and over to ride)
- Arabian Merry - A ride for younger children who can ride flying elephants, and embark on a magical safari adventure (100 cm and overl to ride)
- Street Legal Dodgems - A bumptastic ride in Dodgems cars
- Bumper Bubbles - Climb inside your giant plastic bubble of air and run on water to your hearts content.
- The Carousel - This old time classic, built with a World War Two gun carriage centre, dates back to 1948 and was restored for the Hollywood movie Charlotte's Web. (Cost: 2 coupons per ride)
- Tea Cups - An old carnival spinning favourite (Cost: 2 coupons per ride)
- Wacky Worm Roller Coaster - a speedy, wacky rollercoaster ride (Cost: 3 coupons per ride. Children must be 3 years or over to ride. Children under 100cms must be accompanied by an adult.)
- The Flying Dragon - Let your imagination go flying as you ride on the dragons back. (Cost: 3 coupons per ride)
- The Crazy Wave - Go wild on the Crazy Wave! (Cost: 3 coupons per ride. Riders must be at least 122cm to ride)
- Dodgem Cars - Loads of family fun bumping and crashing in the Dodgem Cars (Cost: 3 coupons per ride. Children must be 3 years old or over to ride. If they are under 120cm they must be accompanied by an adult)
- The Drop Zone - Standing at a height of 17 meters the seats slowly rise to the top before dropping back to earth at a great speed. Just as you reach the bottom the seat will rise and fall from different heights that will keep you guessing (Cost: 3 coupons per ride. Riders must be at least 120cm to ride).
- The Mirror Maze - Get lost (and hopefully get out) in the maze. (Cost: 2 coupons per ride. All riders under 3 year olds must be accompanied by an adult)
- Bungee Trampolines - Bounce up to 7 metres in the air or even try a somersault on the very popular 4 way bungee. (Cost: 4 coupons per ride. All riders must be between 3 and 18 years old, under 60kgs and under 170 cm. If a Rides Only Wristband has been purchased then you can upgrade for $8 per turn.
- Pirate Ships - Take the helm and sail the seven seas. (Cost: 2 coupons per ride)
- Mini Swing Ride - The traditional Swing Ride perfectly sized for the little ones (Cost: 2 coupons per ride. Child must be able to sit upright and be under 130 cm tall. Adults are unable to ride)
- Laughing Clowns - Each player receives 5 balls to place in the clowns mouth. Everyone's a winner and gets a prize, add all the numbers up and you might win pick of the stand! (Cost: 2 coupons per game)
- Bust a Balloon - Throw darts at the wall of balloons and tally up the number of busted balloons. Match the number of busted balloons to its prize (Cost: 2 coupons per two darts)
- Lucky Numbers - Pick a lucky card and peel back the windows to reveal different numbers. If your numbers match a number on display you win a plush toy! (Cost: 4 coupons per six tickets)
Summary of Water-based Rides
- Mini Cars - Go zooming around the circuit in the Mini Cars (riders must be 7 years or over, underage children can ride with someone 16 years or older, children under 3 are not permitted)
- Mini Golf - Players can go round the 9 hole course, or play the 18 hole course.
- Paddle Boats - Enjoy the paddle boats on the lake (riders must be 9 years or over, underage children can ride with someone 16 years or older, children under 3 are not permitted)
- Shetland Pony rides for children under 9 years (must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years)
- Toboggan - Fly down one of the two tracks on Australia’s longest concrete toboggan (riders must be 9 years or over and tandem riding is not permitted)
- Tractor rides are fun for the whole family
- Twister Karts - drive around the track on the karts (riders must be 9 years or over, underage children can ride with someone 16 years or older, children under 3 are not permitted)
- Playground for the kids
- Wildlife areas including Kangaroo Walk (a 10 acre area which is home to many species that wander freely around. This area is a great place to hand feed the wallabies, kangaroos and alpacas), duck pond (home to wild Black Ducks, Wood Ducks, Geese, Muscovy Ducks and Black Swans), dingoes, wombats, koalas and emus.
- Bumpa Bay Bumper Boats - Electric Bumper Boats with water sprays (You need to be 120 cm or taller to ride the Bumper Boats alone. Children between 100 and 119 cm must be accompanied by an adult)
- Wipeout Water Slide - Plunge down 130 metres in a translucent flume full of rapid twists and turns and explode out of the tunnel and into a gnarly wipeout. (You must be 142 cm or taller to ride alone in a single raft. Children between 137 and 141 cm must ride accompanied in a tandem raft by someone at least 137 cm or taller)
- Blackout Water Slide - Plunge 130m in total darkness in a tunnel slide (You need to be 142 cm or taller to ride alone in a single raft. Children between 110 and 136 cm tall must be accompanied by someone at least 137 cm tall in a tandem raft.)
- Typhoon - Typhoon is a version of the Pro Slide CannonBowl ride and at a length of nearly 400 feet it is the World's Longest CannonBowl waterslide. The Typhoon is both a single and two-person double tube ride with a drop of nearly 60 feet. Riders will experience a steep descent down 450 feet of open and closed flume sections where they will reach speeds of over 30 kmh. At the end of the tunnel you will be launched into the mercy of the Typhoon. After multiple revolutions of being glued to the wall you will escape through the corkscrew exit into a splash pool. (You must be 120 cm or taller to ride)
- Splashdown Water Slide is composed of two 65 metre water slides. The flumes of this water slide are built in at ground level following the contour of the hill making accessibility easy for everyone. (You need to be 110 cm or taller to ride the Splashdown alone. Children under 110 cm tall must be accompanied by an adult.
- Wacky Waters - is a water playground with more than twenty interactive play features, water cannons, water jets and slides. Younger kids can splash around in the wading area with water jets and mushroom fountains. The centre piece of Wacky Waters is the Aqua Shak which fills with water until it spectacularly unleashes 2000 litres of water saturating everyone in range.
Luna ParkWonderland Fun Park
- Lazy River - Make a splash as you hang on and go with the flow whilst your raft is propelled along the tropical style river oasis (90 cm and over to ride).
- Tiny Tots Splashzone - Designed for the tiniest of tots with a shallow and safe oasis of interactive water play (120 cm and under to play).
- Aqua Racer - Reach 40km an hour on the six lane Aqua Racer, with 90 litres of water per second pumping, this slide will have you racing head first down a wave like mountain
(110 cm and over to ride).
- Bonito's Bay Waterplay - This Caribbean Pirate Adventure has non stop waterplay action including splash pools, slides & tipping filled buckets.
- Gold Rush Rapids - Ride the 110 metre long Gold Rush Rapids. Race down in under 20 seconds and finish with a 2 metre plunge (90 cm and over to ride).
- Wild West Canyon - It’s a pitch black dark ride within the tunnel. Ride down on an inflatable two seater raft and experience two 360 degree turns (90 cm and over to ride).
Age and Height Restrictions
- Water slide for cooling off on those warm days (riders must be 7 years or over, underage children can ride with someone 16 years or older, children under 3 are not permitted. Open November to Easter, weather permitting)
Funfields - All restrictions are based on height. Kids who don't reach the height requirement or a ride can often ride with someone at least 16 years old. A summary of all the ride restrictions is here:
Adventure Park - All restrictions are based on height. A summary of all the ride restrictions is here:
Luna Park - All restrictions are based on height. A summary of all the ride restrictions is here:
Wonderland Fun Park - Restrictions are based on a combination of age and height.
Gumbuya Park - Restrictions are based on age. If a child rider is underage they can generally ride with someone 16 years or older.
Funfields - Lockers are available for hire.
Adventure Park - Lockers are available for rental for storing belongings. All locker rentals are all day rentals and cost $12 each per day. Credit card payment is accepted. Lockers are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Lockers are 30cm wide, 43cm high, 45cm deep in size. Access to the lockers uses a wrist band which is a bit finicky to get set up but makes it quick and easy to use the locker during the day.
Luna Park - There are security lockers available that can be hired by the hour or for a full day.
Wonderland Fun Park - Lockers are available for hire at the Tourist Lounge located within Harbour Town Shopping Centre.
Gumbuya Park - Able to store extra belongings in your car.
Funfields - Barbeque shelters are unreserved [unless otherwise advised] and on a first come first serve basis.
Adventure Park - Gas BBQS are available for all day hire for a fee of $25 per BBQ. Gas BBQS can be hired at Guest Services on the day of your visit on a first-come, first-serve basis. BBQS of any type are not permitted to be brought into the Park.
Luna Park - There are no BBQ facilities at the park but there is ample seating and tables to eat either park food or your own food.
Wonderland Fun Park - There are no BBQs.
Gumbuya Park - Plenty of free BBQ’s areas with more than 60 BBQs available.
Funfields - Need a minimum of 10 children and the cost is $42.00 per child. Includes basic food, unlimited rides plus table and seating in one of the undercover shelters for the whole day.
Adventure Park - Birthday parties are available for a minimum of 10 paying children. A Standard Birthday Party is $25 per child and a Deluxe Birthday Party is $39 per child which includes a Day Ticket, Meal Ticket & Tower Tube. Both parties have 2 x free Parents/Guardians tickets.
Luna Park - For a minimum of 8 people, birthday parties include unlimited ride ticket each, 2 x adult single ride tickets, reservation in our party tram, meal & Streets party pack, added extras for the birthday child and choice of meal options. costs are 0–3 yrs: $26.50 per person, 4–12 yrs: $47.50 per person and 13 yrs +: $57.50 per person.
Wonderland Fun Park - There are three different party packages based on a minimum of 10 children and include a rides only all day wristband per child which doesn't include Bungee or Rock Wall Attractions, 2 hrs and 45 mins in your own area in the Wonderland Spiegeltent, a Party Helper to assist with your needs, party invitations, tables, chairs, table cloths, balloons and party hats plus a free adult admission into the party area per child (rides not included). Package 1 (self-catering option) is $35.00 per child, package 2 is $43.00 per child (choice of 6 party foods) and package 3 is $49.50 per child (choice of 6 party foods, drink and snack plus a carnival game for the birthday child).
Gumbuya Park - Three birthday party options are available which are targeted at different ages (from under 5 to over 9). The prices include entry, lunch, ice cream birthday cake and some rides and range from $25 to $45 per child.
Adventure Park -
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied or under the active supervision of a person 16 years old or older to gain admission.
- Sunlounge seating is unreserved and on a first come first serve basis
- Swimwear is required to be worn at all water park activities.
Luna Park -
- Sun lounges are located in a number of locations. Sun lounges cannot be pre-booked and are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Adventure Park offers $25.00 rentals on wheelchairs. They do not offer stroller rentals.
Wonderland Fun Park - Wristbands are per person and only valid on the day of purchase.
- A ticket is required to accompany a small child on a ride.
- When you buy online, you can go through the EXPRESS LANE at the ticket box and beat the queue. Buy your tickets online and they are valid to use for one use within a 12 month period
Gumbuya Park -
- Accompanying Children - Parents may accompany children free of charge on a ride if the child is under the height restriction and holds a valid wristband or coupons for the ride. Please note this excludes the Drop Tower, Crazy Wave and Action Attractions
- Tractor and Pony Rides run weekends and public holidays only
- If you want your money's worth then plan to be there EARLY before the crowds get too large.
- Pre-book your tickets on the internet to avoid the queues
- If you want thrill rides for kids older than 12 then go to Luna Park.
- If you have young kids who want some basic rides and fun then head off to Wonderland Fun Park.
- If you want exciting water rides then go to Funfields.
- If you want some water rides and a range of other activities then head to Adventure Park Geelong.
- If you want to combine a range of animal experiences with some basic rides then take the trip out to Gumbuya Park.
- If you just want some water slides then head to an Aquatic Centre. It will be a lot cheaper and you might get more rides.
- If you are stone broke then find a free water play park.