Westgate Park offers a range of attractions and activities within close proximity to the city. It is located along the eastern banks of the Yarra River under the Westgate Bridge and offers spectacular views to the mouth of the Yarra and the city skyline.
Things to Do
- Enjoy a picnic lunch with friends or family.
- Cycle along the Yarra River or the Port Melbourne foreshore.
- Go bird watching and see water birds feeding on the shores of the lake.
- Take the bicycle punt across the river to Williamstown (weekends only).
- See the Earth Series Sculptures, made from natural materials, which provide an interesting contrast to the landscape character of the park.
- The winding trails around the lakes and along the river are popular with cyclists, joggers and walkers. They link up with the Port Melbourne Foreshore Trail and the Main Yarra Trail.
- A punt service allows easy access to Scienceworks and the Williamstown Foreshore Trail (weekends only).
- Picnic facilities are provided and group bookings of the lawn area can be made by contacting Parks Victoria. The BBQ facility cannot be booked.
The area was originally part of the saltmarsh that extended north from the Yarra River up the Maribyrnong River to the present site of Flemington Racecourse. Sand mining commenced in the 1930s and continued for at least a decade. Part of the excavated land was filled with water to form the southern saltwater lake. The remainder of the park was used as a rubbish tip, which operated for 23 years. During World War 2 an aircraft factory and airfield occupied the site.
As a result of its regeneration, Westgate Park is now a haven for a variety of bird species including stilts, ibis, spoonbills, ducks, gulls, coots, pelicans, swans and moorhens.
Extensive plantings of indigenous trees and shrubs have been undertaken at Westgate Park. These indigenous species have and continue to be planted into various ecological vegetation communities representative of the south east costal region.
Looking After the Park
How to Get There
- All native animals and vegetation are protected and are not to be removed from Westgate Park.
- Please take all rubbish with you.
- Dogs are permitted in the park, but must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Leave the park as you find it.
Access to Westgate Park is via Todd Road or near the end of Lorimer Street, Port Melbourne (Melways Ref: 56 F1).
Yet to be reviewed.